Get Your Guac On
What are the two best things about summer, aside from the phenomenal weather? Barbecuing outback and drinking cold beer with your friends and family has to be at the top of the list. So in the spirit of the last remaining weeks of summer, here’s another BBQ idea.
First and foremost when planning a gluten-free barbeque you need to be sure to have appetizers and dips to keep your guests occupied while you’re busy grilling. This summer time guacamole recipe is the perfect party starter.
- 3-4 ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- 1 garlic clove crushed and chopped
- ½ onion finely diced (depending on how little or how much onion you prefer)
- 2-3 Jalapeños finely diced
- 1 small jar of salsa (Pace Chunky Salsa, medium is a good one)
- 1 lime
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash up the avocado until it’s at a consistency of your liking, add in all the ingredients in a large bowl, and finally squeeze the juice from the lime and mix it all together. It’s as easy as that!
If you’re feeling especially enthusiastic, or just happen to have some gluten-free tortillas lying around, you can make your own chips as well.
- All you really need is some extra light olive oil and gluten-free tortillas (Food for Life has some good ones)
- Cut or rip the tortillas into chip like shapes and put them aside.
- In a skillet pour about ½ inch of oil and heat it up over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, drop in the tortilla and let them cook for a few minutes.
- Once they look done, using a spatula or tongs take them out and dab the excess oil off using a paper towel.
Now all you need is your ice cold Tread Lightly Ale and you’re good to go!
For more great gluten-free appetizer recipes check out: http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/appetizers
Photo credits: Sharon Drummond